Saturday, January 5, 2008

Thing 14 Library 2.0

The best perspective that I have found on Library 2.0 can be found in this article. It basically says that Library 2.0 is a collaborative way to better meet the needs of your community. My favorite part says that this makes libraries relevant to people's lives, instead of being an afterthought. I could not agree more. The face of the library is changing because communication and information are expanding rapidly. The thing that I love about this project is that I am seeing first hand the amount of time people spend online, searching for answers. Someone could have told me, but I wouldn't have believed it without experiencing it for myself. My philosophy on the library is that we have to join this virtual society so that we can better serve our community. The number of tools that are available on the web is astounding. One big question that is often posed is,"How do we use this in the library?" My question is, "How do we not?" Now that I know it, I can teach it. The cool thing is that I am learning something new and exciting everyday. This reminds me how it feels to learn: uncomfortable, nervous, anxious. Isn't that how kids feel? Sometimes teachers? By stepping into the role of a learner, I am better connected to my school.

During this task, I have relied heavily on the aid of my peers. This has been a huge help to me. Imagine have the help of all the librarians in Texas. Ideas are meant to be shared. Web 2.0 and Library 2.0 allow librarians to expand lessons, ideas, and tips for a better library. I have found so many ideas for things that are relevant to me, such as Bluebonnet Voting ideas. I am looking forward to the Things left to do. . . .

3 comments:

Ms.PaigeTurner said...

It is amazing to me as well that people spend so much time on the Interent. I am hoping this assignmnet will allow me to help others cut down on their search time.

The Loud Librarian said...

I always knew you would be a great librarian. Principals are always at a loss when they lose great classroom teachers to the library. But principals also know the value of a strong librarian. You are so open to new knowledge, and willing to try it out with your colleagues and students. I would never have believed you were a new librarian based on how well you have tackled this project, except that I know you so well.

Brittney said...

I just finished thing #14 and decided to browse other blogs to see what everyone else was thinking about Library2.0. I completely agree with your thoughts of "how can we NOT use this in the library?" I have read so many great ideas on how to use the tools within the library and I know it can do nothing but improve the program.

Can you believe how much we haved learned in the first few months of our new job!? It's amazing! :)