Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Thing 13 Social Bookmarking

I will admit that I was a little hesitant on this task. It didn't seem like that big of a deal, but I watched the video and did some exploring. I looked at the MISD page and did some playing there. Then I created my own account. At first, I struggled with what to add. I was almost embarrassed that I do not visit a huge number of websites. And besides that, who would want to see sites I like? So, I started small. I go to the learning 20 blog sites almost daily, so I posted that. That led me to add image chef and other online sign generators. What else have I done that might be interesting? I found a cool flyer from TLA about ideas for Bluebonnet Book voting ideas, so I went back and posted that. My realization was that I was going to have to retrain myself to use this awesome tool. The more I post and search other people's posts, I find this to be a fascinating tool.

In the library, this will be a huge help. So many times when students come to the library or go to the computer lab time is wasted searching for quality websites. I know that kids need to learn to filter websites for themselves, but with the time crunch we feel, I think using the del.icio.us site will benefit students tremendously. It reminds me of filimentality (sp?). Obviously, this could be used to post websites for Internet research. I would love to show students how to create a del.icio.us account and find sites for something that is being studied, such as Ancient Greece. Then students could search other sites for good info. I think teaching kids to tag will improve critical thinking skills. Tagging is essentially coming up with synonyms. This is a skill that is needed in traditional research. A great lesson would be to compare and contrast the way a traditional encyclopedia is organized and how tagging works on del.icio.us. With an encyclopedia, students can be stuck if there is not an article about exactly what is being researched, like midnight ocean zone. Tagging could help students see what else something might be labeled as. This is a great addition to my ever- growing toolbox of web tools. Love it!

2 comments:

Nice Guy said...

More Web 2.0 image/sign generator templates @ www.ImageGenerator.org (make buttons, banners, sigs, avatars, fake magazines, comics, logos, gags, e-cards, etc)

Librarianmarn said...

I think your idea about teaching kids about tagging is a great idea. I was thinking that, too....wondering about having them pull out the important words, making connections with what they see in the sites. It's a great way to make them "learn" something without them knowing it! :)